September 28, 2010

DIY - A More Personalized Baby Book

If you want something cheaper, do it yourself!


In the last few months of my pregnancy with Nicolas, I was on the hunt for a baby book. You know, just a little something to keep track of his milestones and development. I don't know if it's because I'm too picky, but I just couldn't find one in the store that I liked and liked enough to spend $15+ dollars on. I loved the one my mom did for me, but I doubt they still sell that type of baby book almost 30 years later. So I came up with the idea to create my own book for Nicolas.




I bought this blank journal on clearance at Barnes & Noble for $6.98 (way cheaper than any traditional baby book would cost) to use for Nicolas' baby book. I update it at the end of every month, in my own words, and even add photos from that particular time period.




Yes, this does take a bit more time to do. But in the end, I think Nicolas will appreciate it more when he's old enough to have his own kids. Also, this is an easier way to document those things that don't fit into the typical "milestone" categories you find in traditional baby books, i.e. how many ounces per feeding, growth spurts, sleeping habits, first time baby noticed his surroundings, first time baby grabbed a toy. This is a project you can even undertake once you are pregnant. In this case, my first journal entry was a recap of the pregnancy. Your monthly, or even weekly, updates could provide your child with an insight to who their mom was before they were old enough to remember.


I plan on making this type of baby book for each of my subsequent children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment